First thing’s first. You need to correctly identify what kind of school you attend. This goes for students, coaches, teachers, administrators and parents. Several decisions will be made that hinge directly on the four different kinds of schooling that we have nowadays in the world of education.
Next, you will venture into finding the league that works best for you. I will bring simplicity to the complicated world of speech and debate by giving a short synopsis of the major leagues available to students, plus a bulleted list of the main features the leagues offer.
- I’m writer and teacher Chris Jeub. Welcome to Episode 3: Easy Entry to the World of Speech and Debate Part 2 (Schools and Leagues).
- Coronavirus update: All three leagues mentioned in today’s podcast have cancelled ALL qualifiers and regional tournaments, and only the NSDA remains as a national tournament. It has truly been devastating to witness the end of the year end so abruptly. I, for one, stand resolved to make up for this loss next year!
- Current Membership: Monument PLUS is free through the end of Season 20! Monument Members is a website that speakers and debaters join to access current source material. Their year was cut short from the coronavirus. I opened the educational side to the membership — the Monument Libraries — to all Season 20 members. This is a $200 upgrade. So, if you’re a member, sign in and gain access! Read my article that explains the free upgrade: https://chrisjeub.com/my-covid-19-response-free-libraries/
- The ChrisJeub.com Website
Project: Easy Entry to the World of Speech and Debate
- Perfect Customer: The individual who wants to be involved in speech and debate, but has no idea where to begin.
- I guide this customer through the important (but often confusing) details of speech and debate competition. The Table of Contents highlights these details:
- Last week I read to you the Introduction to the greater work of Easy Entry to the World of Speech and Debate.
- Today I will be reading the first two chapters of the book, and they guide you to two decisions you need to make: Schools and Leagues.
- I will be taking these readings and convert them into an audiobook. For the time being, this is available to the public for free. Soon they will only be available for purchase online or as a ChrisJeub.com Patron.
- Podcast 002: Easy Entry to the World of Speech and Debate (Part 1: Introduction)
- Podcast 003: Easy Entry (Part 2: Schooling and Leagues)
- Podcast 004: Easy Entry (Part 3: Speech)
- Podcast 005: Easy Entry (Part 4: Debate)
- Podcast 006: Easy Entry (Part 5: Tournaments)
- Easy Entry is available:
- I will be reading Chapter 3 from the book next week, “Speech.” It covers the three categories of the myriad of speech events available to competitors.
- Support this podcast and my projects by becoming a Patron of ChrisJeub.com/patron. There are valuable benefits and features that come with being a Patron!