Debate is an entire sport full of rules, new terminology, and a host of jargon to go along with it. Wading through the how-to’s is enough to scare off the most determined individual. But hang in there! Debate may be the most rigorous academic activity out there, but it is also the most rewarding. Students – even the most academically challenged – eventually get it and enjoy it.
- I’m writer and teacher Chris Jeub. Welcome to Episode 5: Easy Entry to the World of Speech and Debate Part 4 (Debate).
- The book is now available in hard copy! Watch my release video releasing from Thursday last week. It speaks to my online membership and gives them an offer for a FREE book. This is available for a limited time only.
- To encourage online tournament registrations, I have opened up my $99 Monument Membership to everyone FOR FREE. See MonumentMembers.com.
- Season 20 isn’t over yet! Despite cancellations of tournaments, Coronavirus has not totally shut us down. Some exciting developments in the Speech and Debate Community:
- NSDA Nationals will be ONLINE, and I’m bringing my middle schoolers. See https://speechanddebate.org/nationals.
- I’ve written a blog post called “Pathway to Competing at NSDA Nationals,” written particularly for those who did not have aspirations to compete in that league.
- National Institute for Homeschool Debate (NIHD) is hosting its own online debate tournament April 27-May 2. I have signed up to help judge. See www.nihdprocoach.com.
- Kentucky’s TOC (Tournament of Champions) will be online, too, and the online extemp application Prepd will be hosting the extemp draw. See this Prepd blog post for information, and visit this Tabroom link for tournament information.
- The ChrisJeub.com Website
Project: Easy Entry to the World of Speech and Debate
- Perfect Customer: The individual who wants to be involved in speech and debate, but has no idea where to begin.
- I guide this customer through the important (but often confusing) details of speech and debate competition. The Table of Contents highlights these details:
- Last week I read to you the chapter on SPEECH.
- Today I will be reading the next chapter that identifies the various debate events.
- I will be taking these readings and convert them into an audiobook. For the time being, this is available to the public for free. Soon they will only be available for purchase online or as a ChrisJeub.com Patron.
- Podcast 002: Easy Entry to the World of Speech and Debate (Part 1: Introduction)
- Podcast 003: Easy Entry (Part 2: Schooling and Leagues)
- Podcast 004: Easy Entry (Part 3: Speech)
- Podcast 005: Easy Entry (Part 4: Debate)
- Podcast 006: Easy Entry (Part 5: Tournaments and Conclusion)
- Easy Entry is available:
- Next week: I will be reading the last chapter “Tournaments” and the conclusion.
- Support this podcast and my projects by becoming a Patron of ChrisJeub.com/patron. There are valuable benefits and features that come with being a Patron!