My journaling helps me sort out deep, troubling issues in my life. The more troubling, the less likely they trickle onto my blog. But not today. I want to share with you one that I wrestled with lately: the Resistance.
At the Platform Conference, attendees were given a powerful little book, Do The Work, by Steven Pressfield. It speaks of the Resistance, an annoying reality for anyone eager to do great things. It seems that the more successful I become, the greater the Resistance is in my life.
I wish I could say it’s only in my head, but it has shown through some people. There has been some judgments—some pretty hostile ones—come at me in the last couple of years. These people have attacked me a few times directly, but mostly anonymously or behind my back. In some cases they have joined forces to take me down.
I know, you’ve seen this happen. Betrayal isn’t uncommon. Especially in “ministry” circles. Churches split, dysfunction rattles ministries, nonprofits are riddled with scandal. I’m not immune. The Resistance is seeking to destroy, and I sometime lay victim to it’s conniving manipulation.
And it’s personal. It seeks to take me out. Get Chris Jeub out of the greater picture. The Resistance has a slime-ball excuse for any of my honest efforts:
- I wanna run a tournament. You’ve not run great tournaments before.
- I wanna train kids in competition. You’re not that great of a coach.
- I wanna do something great. You don’t have what it takes.
- I wanna help people help themselves. What a judgmental thing to say.
- I wanna empower others to do great things. You can’t even do something great yourself.
Ugly, isn’t it? My wife, Wendy, and I meet the Resistance through our family business. We’ve used our unique platform of having 16 children to help pump love into the lives of others. What kind of person would want to take that message down? Why would anyone seek to destroy a message as pure as love?
- We wanna have a child. You can’t afford it, you wouldn’t be good parents, and you’re just thinking of yourselves.
- We wanna encourage moms and dads to love their kids. You struggle with this yourselves, you hypocrites.
- We wanna create resources that create love in homes. You’re just in it for the money, you selfish capitalists.
- We wanna help moms and dads grow strong families. What about nontraditional families? What a judgmental thing to say.
- We wanna build love in the house. You can’t even do this yourselves, you losers.
Yep, read our blog’s comments and you’ll see the Resistance alive and strong. It doesn’t come through the majority of people, just a few. I’m ashamed to say, last night I was in a subtle depression, weighing judgments like these and considering them to be true. I went to bed early feeling down in the dumps.
I woke with Do The Work on my mind. A fight was brewing in my heart. Punch back. This is more than just attitude. I’ve got to do something. I’ve got to do the work.
“The universe is not indifferent. It is actively hostile.” – Steven Pressfield [Tweet this]
Part of the work is to replace the lies with the truth. There are fundamental truths that I can and must cling to. This is personal. For me…
- I am excellent at running events.
- I have the best in mind for the audience I serve.
- I can administer organizations, large tournaments and camps like nobody’s business.
- I am building the most powerful speakers and communicators this world has ever seen.
- I am only a dozen years into this…there is a ton of open land to conquer.
For my family…
- Wendy and I are great parents with a beautiful family.
- Wendy and I are exploring the depths of love, depths that others want to explore with us.
- Wendy and I are really good writers and we’re becoming better speakers.
- Wendy and I are creating great resources for families to utilize.
- Wendy and I have only just begun to touch the hearts of families with the power of love.
So, I’m back to work. Are you?
Perhaps you have listened to others’ lies and fallen victim to the Resistance. It is a powerful force, so fight back. Peel away the lies and cast them out into the fire. Don’t give them the consideration they seek. Cling to what is true and good and empowering:
- I am excellent at [insert what makes you awesome].
- I have the best in mind for [insert those whom you love].
- I can administer [insert “your thing” here].
- I am building [insert what your next project is].
- I am only [how long have you been at this?]…there is a ton of land left to conquer.
Seek the truth. Declare it. Believe it. Then get to work.
Are you fighting the Resistance?